Contact: Lindsay Hyman
Three New York Students Awarded Prestigious Horatio Alger State Scholarship
Teens Awarded $5,000 Scholarships for Overcoming Adversity
WASHINGTON, May 12, 2009 – The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is pleased to announce that it has awarded scholarships to three deserving high school students in New York. Each scholar will receive $5,000 to assist in funding their college education. The students were selected for the Horatio Alger New York State Scholarship because they persevered in overcoming adversity while also demonstrating excellence in academics, admirable character and community contributions.
“The New York scholars have overcome great obstacles and we are proud to present this award,” said David L. Sokol, president and chief executive officer of the Horatio Alger Association. “Through this scholarship program, we celebrate their accomplishments and help them reach their future goals.”
The Horatio Alger State Scholarship Programs range from $2,500 to $10,500 and are sponsored by Horatio Alger members and friends. These scholarships are offered in 29 states. In 2009, the programs are awarding more than 600 state scholarships to students throughout the country.
Horatio Alger scholars are provided with numerous resources to ensure a successful college career. Each student receives:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of, and preparation for, college.
- Access to the association’s Web site, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line, to speak to program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The 2009 New York recipients are:
- Michael R. Regina of Mastic Beach, William Floyd High School
- Carlos E. Narvaez of Floral Park, Floral Park Memorial High School
- Torrey L. Clark of Newfield, Newfield Central School
Scholars are encouraged to remain connected with the association throughout their lives and become active members of the Horatio Alger alumni group.
About The Horatio Alger Association
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans continues to fulfill its mission of honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals in our society who have succeeded in spite of adversity and of encouraging young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Horatio Alger Association offers three annual scholarship programs: the National Scholarship Program, State Scholarship Programs and Graduate Grants. The association awards nearly $7 million annually in college scholarships and has given more than $63 million to deserving students since 1984. The association is a 2008-2009 Combined Federal Campaign participant. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org.