Contact: Chelsea Cummings
Five Delaware Students Awarded Prestigious Horatio Alger State Scholarship
The Michele Rollins Family Provides $25,000 in Scholarships to Teens for Overcoming Adversity
WASHINGTON, July 27, 2010 – The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is pleased to announce that it has awarded scholarships to five deserving high school students in Delaware. Each scholar will receive $5,000 to assist in funding their college education. The students were selected for the Horatio Alger Delaware Scholarship because they persevered in overcoming adversity while also demonstrating excellence in academics, admirable character and community contributions.
“We are happy to help the deserving scholars from Delaware attend college and achieve the American dream,” said Tony Novelly, president and chief executive officer of the Horatio Alger Association. “These scholars have exemplified the Horatio Alger ideals by using their challenges in life as a motivator for success.”
The Delaware scholarships are made possible by the Michele Rollins Family which has supported the state with scholarships through the Horatio Alger Association for seven years.
The Horatio Alger State Scholarship Programs range from $2,500 to $10,500 and are sponsored by Horatio Alger members and friends. These scholarships are offered in 23 states. In 2010, the programs are awarding more than 675 state scholarships to students throughout the country.
Horatio Alger scholars are provided with numerous resources to ensure a successful college career. Each student receives:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of, and preparation for, college.
- Access to the association’s Web site, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line, to speak to program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The 2010 Delaware recipients are:
- Sarah E. May, Cape Henlopen High School, Millsboro
- Tuyet-Nhung T. Nguyen, Seaford High School, Georgetown
- Lindsay J. Schulze, Milford High School, Harrington
- Katricia L. Thompson, Hodgson Vocational Tech High School, Newark
- Alexis N. Turner-Garris, Charter School Of Wilmington, Wilmington
About the Horatio Alger Association:
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans continues to fulfill its mission of honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals in our society who have succeeded in spite of adversity and of encouraging young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Horatio Alger Association offers three annual scholarship programs: the National Scholarship Program, state scholarship programs, and graduate grants. Since 1984, the association has awarded over $70 million in college scholarships to deserving young people. The association is a Combined Federal Campaign participant; # 77062. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org.