Contact: Carrie Blewitt
Twelve Forth Worth, Texas Students Awarded Prestigious Horatio Alger State Scholarship
The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Foundation Provides $60,000 in Scholarships to Teens for Overcoming Adversity
WASHINGTON, May 19, 2010 – The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is pleased to announce that it has awarded scholarships to 12 deserving high school students in Forth Worth, Texas. Each scholar will receive $5,000 to assist in funding their college education. The students were selected for the Horatio Alger Fort Worth, Texas State Scholarship because they persevered in overcoming adversity while also demonstrating excellence in academics, admirable character and community contributions.
“We are happy to help the deserving scholars from Fort Worth attend college and achieve the American dream,” said Tony Novelly, president and chief executive officer of the Horatio Alger Association. “These scholars have exemplified the Horatio Alger ideals by using their challenges in life as a motivator for success.”
The Fort Worth scholarships are made possible by The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Foundation which has supported the community with scholarships through the Horatio Alger Association for four years.
The Horatio Alger State Scholarship Programs range from $2,500 to $10,500 and are sponsored by Horatio Alger members and friends. These scholarships are offered in 23 states. In 2010, the programs are awarding more than 675 state scholarships to students throughout the country.
Horatio Alger scholars are provided with numerous resources to ensure a successful college career. Each student receives:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of, and preparation for, college.
- Access to the association’s Web site, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line, to speak to program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The 2010 Forth Worth recipients are:
- Maria Alonso, Trimble Technical High School
- Son Bui, Dunbar High School
- Alexander Burciaga, Diamond Hill-Jarvis High School
- Aaron Casey, Eastern Hills High School
- Ashleigh Greene, Western Hills High School
- Billie Heliker, Castleberry High School
- Mariah Koch, Nolan Catholic High School
- Aurora Llamas, Trimble Technical High School
- Maribel Lomeli, Diamond Hill-Jarvis High School
- Travoy McCarver, Robert L Paschal High School
- Huong Phan, Trimble Technical High School
- Oscar Torres, Trimble Technical High School
To view the complete list of Horatio Alger scholars and members, visit our Web site at https://www.horatioalger.org.
About the Horatio Alger Association:
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans continues to fulfill its mission of honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals in our society who have succeeded in spite of adversity and of encouraging young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Horatio Alger Association offers three annual scholarship programs: the National Scholarship Program, state scholarship programs, and graduate grants. Since 1984, the association has awarded over $70 million in college scholarships to deserving young people. The association is a Combined Federal Campaign participant; # 77062. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org.