Contact: Maria Abad
Nine Students Receive Colorado Horatio Alger State Scholarship
Philip Anschutz Makes Scholarships Possible for Local Teens
WASHINGTON, July 8, 2011 – The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is pleased to announce that it has awarded scholarships to nine outstanding high school students in Colorado. This is the first time the Horatio Alger Association has offered a state scholarship in Colorado.
Each scholar will receive $5,000 toward their college education. The students were selected for the Horatio Alger Colorado Scholarship because they persevered in overcoming adversity while succeeding academically, contributing to the community and exhibiting exemplary character.
“We are privileged to provide scholarships to the deserving students from Colorado to attend college and achieve the American dream,” said Tony Novelly, president and chief executive officer of the Horatio Alger Association. “These students have overcome significant challenges in their lives and have become stronger, more determined people because of it.”
The Colorado scholarships are made possible by Philip Anschutz. With this donation, the association is now realizing its goal to provide state scholarships in all 50 states for the first time in the association’s history.
The state scholarships range from $2,500 to $20,000 and are sponsored by Horatio Alger members and friends. This year, the programs are awarding more than 850 state scholarships to students throughout the country.
Horatio Alger scholars are provided with numerous resources to ensure a successful college career. Each student receives:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of, and preparation for, college.
- Access to the association’s website, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line, to speak to program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The 2011 Colorado recipients are:
- Robert Anderson, Colorado Springs Early College, Colorado
- Jose Arellano, Pueblo East High School, Pueblo
- Trevor Combs, Fleming High School, Fleming
- Ashley Cortez, Central High School, Pueblo
- Cody Johnson, Northglenn High School, Northglenn
- Heather Mai, Centaurus High School, Lafayette
- Jovian Santiago, Air Academy High School, Usaf Academy
- Carina Ventura, Skyview Academy, Thornton
- Levi Wortley, Colorado Springs Early College, Colorado
To view the complete list of Horatio Alger scholars and members, visit our website at www.horatioalger.org. The 2012 Horatio Alger Scholarship Application will be available beginning August 1 – October 30, 2011 at www.horatioalger.org/scholarships.
About the Horatio Alger Association:
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans continues to fulfill its mission of honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals in our society who have succeeded in spite of adversity and of encouraging young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Horatio Alger Association offers three annual scholarship programs: the National Scholarship Program, state scholarship programs, and graduate grants. The association will have awarded more than $87 million in scholarships through 2012 to deserving young people determined to earn college degrees. The association is a Combined Federal Campaign participant; # 77062. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org