Contact: Stephane Leblois
Five Delaware High school seniors receive the Horatio Alger State Scholarship
The Rollins Family provides $25,000 to deserving local students
April 23, 2012, WASHINGTON, D.C. -The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is honored to announce the winners of the Horatio Alger Delaware Scholarship sponsored by the Rollins Family Foundation in honor of the late Association Member John W. Rollins,Sr. The Horatio Alger State Scholars are chosen based on their demonstrated commitment to education, their dedication to community service, and strength of character in overcoming personal obstacles to achieve academic excellence.
“We are truly honored to offer these deserving students the opportunity to pursue a college education,” said Tony Novelly, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Horatio Alger Association. “We know that they will carry on the Horatio Alger values of perseverance and courage in the face of adversity as they continue with their education and pursue careers.”
Each scholar will receive $5,000 that will go toward their college tuition, fees, books, on-campus room and board, and other education-related expenses. In addition to the scholarship, the students will receive:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of and preparation for college.
- Access to the association’s website, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests, and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line to speak with program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The Horatio Alger Association’s scholarship programs are funded by its Members, friends of the organization, and other foundations. Since 1990, the Association has provided $1,749,500.00 in scholarships to high school seniors from Delaware. The program is made possible by the Rollins Family, whose contributions are made in honor of John W. Rollins, Sr.
The 2012 Horatio Alger Delaware State Scholarship recipients are:
- Rebecca J. Carroll, Indian River High School, Frankford
- Katie Daniels, Polytech High School Kent County, Smyrna
- Marissa C. Leslie, Sussex Technical High School, Millsboro
- Samantha K. Parsons, Delmar High School, Delmar
- Sara R. Remmell, Cab Calloway School Of The Arts, Newark
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans celebrates those individuals in our society whose determination and hard work enabled them to overcome life’s obstacles to achieve success. As a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit, the Association provides scholarships and mentorship to high school seniors who have demonstrated courage in the face of adversity and an unwavering desire to pursue a higher education. The Horatio Alger Association has awarded more than $90 million in college scholarships since the inception of its scholarship programs in 1984. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org.