Contact: Stephane Leblois
Twenty five North Dakota high school seniors receive Horatio Alger State Scholarship funded by BNSF Railway Foundation
$125,000 to deserving students in the state
April 25, 2012, WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans is honored to announce the winners of the Horatio Alger North Dakota Scholarship sponsored by the BNSF Railway Foundation. The Horatio Alger State Scholars are chosen by the Horatio Alger Association based upon their demonstrated commitment to education, dedication to community service, and strength of character when overcoming personal obstacles to achieve academic excellence.
“We are truly honored to offer these deserving students the opportunity to pursue a college education,” said Tony Novelly, Horatio Alger Association, president and chief executive officer. “We know that they will carry on the Horatio Alger values of perseverance and courage in the face of adversity as they continue with their education and pursue careers.”
Each scholar will receive $5,000 toward their college tuition, books, on-campus room and board, and other education-related expenses. In addition to the scholarship, the students will receive:
- Financial aid guidance to assist with the selection of and preparation for college.
- Access to the association’s website, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests, and direct questions to the association.
- Access to a toll-free information line to speak with program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The Horatio Alger Association’s scholarship programs are funded by its Members, friends of the organization, and other partnering foundations. Since 1989, the Association has provided $1,016,500 in scholarships to high school seniors from North Dakota. BNSF Railway Foundation has funded nearly $900,000 for these scholarships in the state since 2005.
The winners of the 2012 Horatio Alger North Dakota State Scholarship sponsored by the BNSF Railway Foundation are:
- Morgan M. Aasand, GraftonHigh School, Grafton
- Rachel M. Aldinger, MandanHigh School, Mandan
- Madison M. Barney, CenturyHigh School, Bismarck
- Travis T. Blake, NorthStarHigh School, Cando
- Zachary T. Davis, NorthHigh School, Fargo
- Kaitlyn K. Ebel, ZeelandPublic School, Zeeland
- Annika K. Eckholm, WingHigh School, Wing
- McKayla M. Glasser, ShilohChristianSchool, Bismarck
- Marie Goerger, WyndmerePublic School, Wyndmere
- Tara J. Gottbreht, RoletteHigh School, Rolette
- Jeremy G. Gusaas, EllendaleHigh School, Ellendale
- Hailey M. Horob, WillistonHigh School, Williston
- Jenna M. Ingram, Hope-PagePublic School, Page
- Alison M. Karpenko, Red RiverSenior High School, Grand Forks
- Erin K. Keller, StrasburgHigh School, Strasburg
- Kaylene R. Kreitinger, BeachHigh School, Golva
- Emily D. Laturnus, NorthStarHigh School, Cando
- Alexandra M. Mills, OakesHigh School, Oakes
- Kristen N. Mundahl, RugbyHigh School, Rugby
- Sean M. Nelson, LisbonHigh School, Lisbon
- Erica L. Privratsky, SouthHigh School, Fargo
- Samuel Savidge, WillistonHigh School, Williston
- Mary A. Wagner, WingHigh School, Wing
- Elizabeth R. Young, GarrisonHigh School, Garrison
- Justin L. Zahradka, ParkRiverHigh School, Lawton
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans celebrates those individuals in our society whose determination and hard work enabled them to overcome life’s obstacles to achieve success. As a 501(c)(3) education non-profit, the Association provides scholarships and mentorship to high school seniors who have demonstrated courage in the face of adversity and an unwavering desire to pursue a higher education. The Horatio Alger Association has awarded more than $90 million in college scholarships since the inception of its scholarship programs in 1984. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org.