Eligibility for Scholarships
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Scholarship Programs, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full-time as a high school senior in the United States, progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2014 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Be a United States citizen
Please review the additional requirements for the Idaho, Louisiana, and Montana Scholarship Programs:
Idaho scholarship recipients must pursue a bachelor's degree at the University of Idaho (Coeur d'Alene or Moscow campus only) or Lewis-Clark State College (Coeur d'Alene and Lewiston campus only) or students may start their studies at North Idaho College for up to two years and then transfer to the University of Idaho or Lewis-Clark State College.
Louisiana scholarship recipients must plan to attend and enroll in a university/college in the state of Louisiana.
Montana scholarship recipients must purse a bachelor’s degree at either the University of Montana or Montana State system schools (see below for a complete listing of schools).
Scholarship recipients must attend the University of Montana or one of its affiliates, which include:
or Montana State University or one of its affiliates, which include: