Horatio Alger Montana Scholarship Program
50 $7,000 Scholarships Awarded
Funded through the generosity of the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation
The eligible schools have agreed to provide an additional $5,000 award so that the total grant amount will equal $12,000 to be disbursed over the student's college career.
Recipients must pursue a bachelor's degree The University of Montana or one of its affiliates, which include:
or Montana State University or one of its affiliates, which include
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Montana Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in Montana; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2015 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution) The colleges listed above have pledged to match the scholarship amount dollar for dollar for each scholarship recipient.
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Be a resident of the State of Montana; and
- Be a United States citizen